Stepping Hill Maternity Ward
- Client: Stockport NHS Foundation Trust
- Role: Project Management
- Value: £1.6m
- Sector: Healthcare
The refurbishment of the under utilised 6th floor of the maternity building at Stepping Hill is required to provide additional services and capacity for the increased demand.
The new ward will provide 28 additional beds via a mixture of multi-bed bays and private rooms. The space will also encompass additional staff facilities, including a new large training/meeting space. The works are to be completed while the adjacent wards remain live.
- The works are to be carried out in a live hospital building, where some of the adjacent wards provide 24/7 services. Open lines of communication with the local departments and Estates team is required
- Connections into existing services in live wards which requires careful planning with the departments and close management of the works as any delays would impact the delivery of hospital services
- The only access into the site is via the main hospital corridors and internal lifts which creates difficulties is getting materials into and out of the space. To mitigate this issue an external hoist has been installed to provide contractor and material access and egress
- Active engagement and management of the whole project team ensuring site issues and queries are dealt with efficiently to maintain programme
- Integrated Project Manager working closely with the departmental leads and estates team to facilitate works on site with minimal disruption